View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi, you know me, SPROUTLADY!!!! lol

I always try to eat organic as much as possible. All my sprouting seeds have been organic and any chicken I buy has to be organic with no hormones or antibiotics.

But guess what I have re-introduced into my diet?

MEAT!!!! and I don't mean beef.

I have been a beef free person for about 10 years.

Not a vegetarian, because I do eat chicken and fish and grow a lot of my foods, but as a diabetic, well, I thought going no beef was better for my body.

But I've been doing the research and because I am no longer taking any medication for diabetes and doing it strictly by diet alone, well I want to add more protein to my diet. And not from soy, or from protein powder.

So I went online and did a lot of research and I remembered that years ago I had tried Bison.

So Melody went online and looked up Bison and read this and that and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did the research because I would have bought the ground bison but it said to get the steaks. It said that ground bison had more fat that the steak medallions.

Well!!! how right they were.

Today I went to Waldbaums and spoke to the meat guys who directed me to the Bison Department. And there they were, medallions of bison and ground bison. I compared the two. The ground had 11 grams of fat and the steaks had 2.5. AND 37 GRAMS OF PROTEIN!!! I said "whooo whoo"

And it had no hormones nor did it have antibiotics. And I'm going to buy the Grass Fed Bison. Supposed to be better than grain fed. Doing research on that too.

So I brought them home and at summer I took a pan, sprayed some olive oil no stick stuff that I used, add some chipotle seasoning to the steak and the smell in my kitchen was out of heaven. I hadn't smelled this kind of smell in 10 years.

I made my vegetables on the side, and started eating. You should have seen the expression on my face when I tasted the bison. It was like a religious experience. I think I yelled out loud "OH MY GOD, THIS IS GOOD".

Then, after I was done, (I actually did this), it was like a scene out of a caveman movie. I walked over to Alan and said "I have eaten meat, I shall build a fire), kind of like the scene in Castaway when Tom Hanks builds a fire.

My husband thought I was nuts, but when we went shopping at our nearby grocery store, where I know everybody I had them rolling in the aisles. I also asked them to stock up on Bison meat but they said "oh no, it's too expensive for us to sell".

So I paid $9.95 at Waldbaums for 2 Bison steaks. To me, this is not bad.

Of course I'm not having this every day. But I will eat this maybe 2 to 3 times a week, with chicken and fish to fill in the middle.

Maybe a tofu meal once in a while too. I love Tofu. But the protein in Bison is really good for my body. I felt amazing as I went out for a walk with Alan.

I can't get him to go near any meat though. He's a veggie person. He said "What did the Bison do to me?, why should I eat him?"

Anyway, I am on my way to a leaner body. Time will tell.

lol

Melody
(she eats meat, she will build a fire). lol lol lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Last edited by MelodyL; 10-02-2010 at 08:17 PM.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (10-02-2010), Lara (05-26-2011)