View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi SpareRib

It sounds like we had something very similar done - I hadn't come across anyone before who had the same combination of artery and nerve impingement.

I was surprised by how quickly I've healed, as I read a lot of accounts before I went in for my op and they all seemed to suggest it would be months before I could even consider getting back to normal. My surgeon said that I would probably need to take 3-6 weeks off uni, but I actually got back after a couple of weeks so I think I've just been lucky.

I'm 5 weeks post op and I'm managing to jog, cycle and cross-train at the gym now, and mostly I'm just limited by my lost fitness! The main problem was the stiffness at first - I could barely move my shoulder or neck. After a week or so it really started to loosen up though and the improvement over the next few weeks was quite dramatic. My shoulder and neck are almost back to normal now in terms of mobility, although my physio is telling me to make sure I don't overdo lifting etc as it could cause me damage.

The numbness across my chest is still there, and I think might be a permanent fixture, but it's still early days so keeping my fingers crossed I'll get normal sensation back.

How are you getting on now? Is your pain getting better? I hope you're starting to feel more human - for a week or so after the op I was exhausted and found everything more work than it should have been! Hope this has been kinda informative and makes you feel more optimistic about recovery

Take care,
Bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareRib View Post
Hi Bex - and others,

I like you searched the internet for advice months prior to my surgery, and struggled to find positive accounts and constructive advice. Cheers for taking the time to post it up Bex!

I had a left cervical rib removal just last week, 20th Sep. It was impinging on the main artery as well as the nerves.

I am in quite a bit of pain but managing it with paracetomol and gabapentin (for nerve pain). I also have very limited mobility, and a lot of stiffness but I know that is to be expected from what I've read here.
I am pretty in the dark however about recovery time and what I will and won't be able to to do over the next few weeks and months. Accounts seem to vary so much don't they?

Bex - please keep me posted as I'd love to know how you get on. I am also very active, 30 years old and used to going running/ do yoga regularly. I'm hoping I'll be able to do that again in the not too distant future, but it seems a million miles away right now!!! I'm surprised you're going to the gym, is jogging etc. ok for you after so short a recovery time?

All best,
SpareRib
BexUK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nospam (04-02-2012)