View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Surgery fasting and mestinon question

I have oral surgery on 3 teeth scheduled for Oct 13th. Do Any of you have experience with what docs do when they expect you to not eat or have fluids before surgery. He told me 6 hours for this one. My eye surgery was longer for cataract and the other will be be coming up in a few months.

He asked what made me worse so I said activity and heat. He asked if stress did. I said I am stronger in the earlier part of the day. So his thought was to do mid morning. Over the weekend I realized that I'd have to eat and drink by 3am if I was gonna get any. That wouldnt allow much of a good nites sleep. And then I realized how am I gonna get a good dose of mestinon in me if I cant eat! If I dont have food in my stomach I get diareah and cramping and once even vomited when I took a larger dose for a before and after mestinon test for my pulmonologist.

I asked my neuro to order an injection of prostigmine for my surgery but she blew it off. I might beable to get my pulmo to get her to do it. She has no sense of how severe my symptoms are. I know docs need some sort of perspective but she is intensely detached from pateints.

My only thought as I write this if I cant get the injection is to have the surgery in the afternoon so I can get the meds and such in me before the surgery.

Annie59
Annie59 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote