View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

MrsD, This is some really good info. It made me wonder what would happen in comparison if I was given mestinon by IV. What I do know is that part of the problem I am having with mestinon now is that my nervous system is reacting differently to it. Any small response I had back in 08 when I was first put on the generic version at 60mg doses is magnified many times over.

My nervous system gets out of wack to varying degrees around my vitamin D deficiency-hyperparathyroid illness. I was an entirely different person before I was diagnosed. It is gonna be warmer than usual here this week for fall and I plan to get out in the sun 2 hopefully 3 days. I do this not just because I know how I well I will sleep, how intensely quiet and calm my body will become but also that it lowers my pain and will get the myositis im my face healing again. I am nervous and edgy when it is low as if alot of strong coffee is always in me. Adding the mestinon which has an impact on the nervous system to some degree is for me an issue. I am sure that those that dont have this medical issue this doesnt happen. ( I would place the study in here that shows in mice when given mestinon they startle easier but cant right now. If anyone is interested I will try to dig it up).

Annie59this is me on alot of mestinon with low vit D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I would wonder if the oral forms are exerting a local effect on the GI tract while they are being absorbed?

Injection also by passes the GI tract and liver, allowing for no first pass metabolism.

Neostigmine is used to reverse ileus of the bowel, so it does depending on dose affect motility. It may be the injection you are using is a low dose, compared to others.

http://www.rxlist.com/prostigmin-drug.htm

I could not find an exact statement about absorption for PYRIDOstigme (Mestinon), but I did find this paper, which suggests pyridostigmine is eliminated a bit slower than neostigmine.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8845827

None of these agents have a high profile of GI absorption though.
Annie59 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote