View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:55 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dear snowydaykids,
I feel your pain. Please know that you are right to be concerned and to question the doctors treating you daughter. Tralee has some good advice, and mine is more of the same. I am fortunate that my son is fully recovered. His main symptom was headaches as well, and we relied heavily on Advil. At one point, one resident doctor from Children's hospital in Boston had us concerned about "rebound headaches" from medicating over too long of a period, so we dialed back the drugs quite a bit. All it did was make him suffer more and once we got connected with doctors who specialized with concussions, they dismissed that theory entirely. I would recommend finding a doctor who has lots of experience with concussions.

We saw Dr. Neal McGrath (parent of concussed son), a neurophsycologist in Boston who conducted the ImPact test on our son. In an ideal situation, a baseline reading is taken prior to injury and serves as a barometer for the healing process. The test was still very useful, and I'm happy we have it in place in case (God-forbid) we get to #2. Google Dr. McGrath and you'll find his website.

Also, the advice above about not worring about school right now is so true. It was very difficult to put our whole families' lives on hold. We cancelled a Disney vacation, avoided hosting any gatherings and declined many invitations during that time. The hardest part was not know how long we would have to live like that. I'm happy to talk with you personally. I feel for you as I know how helpless and desperate I was. Feel free to e-mail me for my phone number: s.bosco@comcast.net. Good luck!
sbosco is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote