View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Shelly,

Welcome to NT. Sorry for your reason for being here.

Fatigue is a very common and persistent symptom of PCS. That said, you still need to rule out other causes of the fatigue. By that I mean, PCS can cause other problems that cause the fatigue. The most important issue is sleep behavior. If you are not getting restorative sleep, your days will be filled with fatigue.

It is not uncommon for a head or more commonly head and neck injury to cause sleep apnea. This can be either obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and central sleep apnea (CSA) Obstructive is when tissues in the mouth, throat, etc partially block the breathing passageway. CSA is when the nervous system malfunctions and the motor function of inhaling is not properly regulated.

A symptom of sleep apnea is nightmares or stressful dreams, restless sleep, body jerks during sleep, Restless Leg Syndrome, waking up during the night, etc.

It is imperative for the body to get REM sleep (Rapid Eye Movement). This is when the neurons get a time to recover from the previous day's stresses. Brain cells will not heal or recuperate without this sleep. Not only will poor sleep lead to daytime fatigue, but it can prevent healing and even cause further brain deterioration.

Regarding Cranial Sacral Therapy, it is a very controversial procedure. There are merits to some of the modalities but other claims are unfounded. For example, researcher have had various Cranial Sacral practitioners (usually Doctors of Osteopathy, Osteopaths, sometimes a Physical Therapist or massage therapist) examine and try to chart their finding of the same patient. There is very little commonality between the diagnosis of the various practitioners.

There is a very good article written by a DO who teaches at one of the Osteopath schools. He even dismisses most of the original cranial sacral theory.

This is not to say that there is not some good available from a skilled practitioner. The manipulation of the neck and spine can be very helpful in the hands of a gifted healer. The claim to manipulate the plates of the skull is beyond any modern scientific method.

The more common modality successfully used by PCS subjects is Upper cervical chiropractic. This focuses on the joint between C1 and the skull and sometimes C1-C2 etc. Most general chiropractors do not have the training nor equipment to properly diagnose and treat these very minimal misalignments.

Google NUCCA and/or upper cervical chiropractic. Or do a search of this forum for upper cervical. there are past posts about the benefits.

Regarding being 'wiped out for days" welcome to the club. I overdid it two weeks ago by trying to read and understand a manual about rebuilding an automatic transmission. I was only reading two pages about the electric sensors etc. I was down for the count for two plus days. I have had efforts that put me out for up to two weeks. Now, i can usually recognize the start of the overwork and leave the task for another day.

Some common symptoms of overworking your brain are:

Eyes start to struggle to follow a line of text.
Reading the same line, sentence or paragraph over and over.
Eyes start to glaze over. This is usually observed by a knowledgeable family member. My wife is good at recognizing this in me.
Repeating yourself in a conversation.
Hearing to many voices at the same time, like at a social function with many people in different conversations.

Us old timers have found it necessary to learn to avoid these triggers or develop work-around or other accommodations to avoid being triggered.

I always have foam ear plugs handy. I wear a hat to avoid bright lights. I do not go to the mall or other busy public setting during busy times. No shopping at Christmas for me. I also will rest up ahead of a need to be in one of these triggering locations to give me more tolerance.

Thank you for posting in short paragraphs. If is very helpful to many of us.

Tell us more about yourself. This is a very welcoming group with a wide variety of experiences.

My best to you..

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (04-01-2012)