Thread: What we know...
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Stress and endocrine system is key

No critique. I just want to reiterate that stress is a key player. Animal studies now show that stress can result in permanent worsening of symptoms by accelerating neuronal loss. Clearly, how we handle stress is key in the pathology, this in turn, would seem to link PD to our endocrine system.

And doctors tell us when we're diagnosed in our 30's that we can continue to live "normally" for quite some time...considering the amount of stress we encounter every day from commuting to work, to work itself, parenting, and any other personal or relationship issues we may struggle with, I'd say that is quite an overly optimistic assertion devoid of any connection with reality. In fact, it borders on potentially being harmful to tell a patient this.

I'd also say that the few people who post here or who have posted who are doing well, lowering traditional meds or off them, have traveled for alternative treatments and seem to have dedicated themselves full-time to feeling better. They have shown positive results. I think this tells us a couple of things. That it is key to reduce or eliminate stressors as much as possible eg. toxic relationships, toxic work environments, etc. Better, that there seems to be room for improvement if we work at it.

This is easier to do if one is financially independent or retired with a secure income, but it leaves out a lot of people with PD. I think this is one of the most neglected aspects of research and treatment. Yes, we need better drugs, but wouldn't it be wonderful if there were professionals who could help us improve naturally through individualized "alternative" treatment plans? It should be a basic course of treatment for all of us that is paid by insurance, not something that replaces traditional drug therapy, but a complement to it. Even just educating patients about stress reduction would be a huge improvement in our care.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon72219 (10-05-2010), Floridagal (10-12-2010), imark3000 (10-05-2010), just_me_77 (10-12-2010), olsen (10-07-2010), reverett123 (10-05-2010), Sasha (10-05-2010), Soozie (10-07-2010), VICTORIALOU (10-21-2010)