View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Question about child support and SSDI back pay

Hi. I was approved for SSDI, my back pay for the past 4 years, and my childrens back pay in July 2010. I also won my workmans comp lawsuit in May 2010 as I became disabled by getting hurt on my job. I received the lawsuit money at the end of May. I went to court regarding my child support that I owed after receiving the lawsuit check. The DHR lawyers representing my ex-wife told me that if I spend the money on anything significant I would go to jail. Well, I had already purchased a car after going without one for 4 years. I also wanted to do the right thing for my children so I paid the entire amount of back child support I owed which was a very large amount that built up over the past 4 years. My ex-wife and her new husband make very good money so the children never went without - they live a very good life actually as far as money is concerned. As I stated the children, were awarded ssdi monthly payments as well as the back pay for past 4 years. I need to know if I have rights to my childrens back pay money to refund the back child support I paid. This money came from my workmans compensation award and is what I am going to use to buy a home (I lost my house when I became diabled). I do not want the entire back pay the children received, just the amount I paid to catch up the child support. It seems to me that she would be getting paid 2 times for the same purpose if she gets to keep it. I do not see why I should be penalized for winning my workmans compensation lawsuit before winning ssdi. If I had won SSDI first the back pay would have caught up the child support in arrears and I wouldnt have had to pay any money out from my workmans comp award. I have already hired a lawyer and filed a motion to go to court but I have no idea of what my chances are in winning. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this? Thank you.
bamagirl75 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote