View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Long term usage has given me back life

After being on OxyContin for 11 years, plus OxyIR and now on my 2nd internal morphine pump, all I can say is that I'm thankful I have a great doctor who's willing to look at my damage and try and control the pain as best as possible. While I'm far from pain free, I am able to maintain a better quality of life thanks to these very expensive medications. When I had my first morphine pump battery fail, I really saw how big a difference this pain management protocol was making in my daily life.

Stop being scared of the hard hitting drugs. According to my Mayo's trained doctor only 1 to 3% of those taking these drugs ever become hooked. While there is a certain degree of body dependence, that's not the same. When I have watched those same TV shows you've watched about the horrors of taking these medications I've gone to my doctor asking if I was hurting my life more than helping it. His response, "Stop watching them!"

There are people who abuse the living heck out of medications for all the wrong reasons, but when there's the real physical damage that necessitates the need for these drugs, they save our lives and make it possible so we can still find new ways to live life though with perhaps a different set of limitations. Best of luck and don't let the bad press and overly judgmental people who have no idea about what life is like when you're living with the pain loads we consider normal scare you into making the wrong choice. Last of all, when you're with a doctor with a great reputation and who's well trained, there's nothing to be scared of. For all those in that one county in Florida who are nothing more than addicts taking what's referred to as the OxcyContin Express, I can only say I feel sorry for you. What I'd give to not have to take these drugs, so why in the world would anyone do it on purpose? Meanwhile, those of us who are very injured are blessed that they're out there. Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperstothesun View Post
Hello.
I'm new to this forum. I've had RSD, etc. for over 18yrs now. I've had to resort to multi high dose opiod therapy long term. I've been following this protocal for a couple of years now. I have cardiac-adrenal insuffiency syndrome and a shot endocrine system from the stress of years of intractable pain which was poorly managed---partly the fault of opiodphobic Docs, and partly because of my own reservations about journeying on this scary road. Finally I had no choice...this or die.
I want to hear from any others who are doing/using similar approach. Pls respond if you/ve done this or are currently using this approach to manage intractable pain.
I'm having a terrible time with my insurance company. The new health care act is threatening my life. If there are other options for me, I welcome stories from fellow RSDers! thanks! love and light to you all...
bobinjeffmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (11-02-2010), cindi1965 (10-11-2010), Kakimbo (10-27-2010)