View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 02:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Amputation will not stop the pain

The only reasons a body part should be chopped off is when you're battling chronic infections that will end you life if you don't proceed with this horrific mutilation.

After battling infections and blood clots for years I was scheduled for a bilateral above the knee amputation. The day before surgery I backed out and only allowed the left leg to be taken. The right leg is still black all the way to the knee and necrotic as all get out and still needs to go - but I'm not giving it up till I have no other choice, because I to thought that at least with the left leg gone the pain would go with it. I couldn't have been more wrong. In fact I've found exactly the opposite.

5 to 10 years ago there was a small group of doctors who were actually believing pain could be chopped off. Problem was, they were not looking at the actual location where RSD is the root of the problem hence the results were horrible. The only thing that was gained by my radical pedicure is that I can't get infections in real estate I don't own anymore. Meanwhile I'm more of a gimp than ever before. Add to that more pain and even new types of shocking pain (I mean literal shocks that do blow me out of my wheelchairs), this has been no easy ride since amputations always come with the price of less mobility.

Unless you're one of the few who actually think you'll be able to handle a prosthesis afterward I'd like to know what's gained? A fake leg will still require a very secure attachment that will apply even more pressure than you're experiencing now. Unless you can cut way high enough above the damaged area and you're 100% positive that the RSD and associated damage will never spread further, then the chances of a fake leg might just be a dream more than a reality. Shoot, just wearing the socks to shape my stump so I'd have the right shape put me on the ceiling hence I stopped using them after my now tiny upper bone/stump finally stopped wobbling around in my very short leg while it healed up inside.

While I understand to my deepest core the desperation you feel so you'd finally get rid of the pain once and for all, this only proves that your pain isn't being managed properly. My betting odds is that very few doctors and even less insurance companies will now allow this procedure/option no matter how badly you want it since there just isn't the proof it really helps post chop. I understand why you're willing to do it, but the sad fact is the odds of it working are slim at best and worse yet I know firsthand like in my case actually make things worse. Now that really scares me.

Please take care and let me know if I can help. Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navysniper7 View Post
It has been 15yrs since my initial accident. It only took the V.A. doctors about 14 1/2yrs to diagnose me with CRPS. They finally snet me to a pain management center who claim to be one of the best with treating CRPS. A plan of action was set and everything was a go and I was on board. However two months later everything has stalled and they are unsure what the next step they should take is going to be. I have been on medications from the start, and they have tried the nerve blocks with no success. I am really considering amputaion to get rid of the nightmare, am I wrong in thnking this way? Or do I stay the course of pain and misery and medication? I am lost and lossing hope and so is my family who is also struggling in this nightmare with me.
bobinjeffmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote