View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 10:00 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Combining meds with activity

I am 59 and also have Parkinson's.(Double whammy for dystonia) Even before being diagnosed with PD 11 yrs ago, I was an advocate of yoga & stretching. When the CRPS surfaced I was already very limber, and it's the one type of exercise I have continued to practice consistently at home. It's all gain and no pain. For me, hydrotherapy and gentle stretching several times a day are far more useful than any aggressive modalities. (I do use an exercise bike)

The "less is more" also applies to massage. Deep muscle massage exacerbates CRPS. Instead, my massage therapist gently works the the non-affected parts of my body, and does reiki on the affected areas (an energy modality where her hands hover just above my skin.) So far it's helping to prevent cramping & to maintain good blood circulation without aggravating the hot spots.

My take on exercise and PD & CRPS is that you can work your muscles without beating yourself up. Yoga is both prevention & intervention for cramping muscles. Focused breathing helps control pain ("helps," not erases), and also assists in relaxation. It's helped me through my Parkinson's. I can only hope it will also minimize the progression of the CRPS ... or dare I hope, halt it.

If you want to try but don't know where to begin, just buy a stretching DVDs & pop it in your TV. (The "stretch" is more impt than particular yoga poses). Some DVDs are better than others - I hesitate to recommend - and you may have to try a few to find the right fit for you. But by all means, do try this mind/body approach!

Bari
bari.o is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote