Thread: Freaking Out!!
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

mbrook,

After reading accounts of people coming off St John's Wort and SSRI's, I can understand your struggle to get off StJW

I am surprised at the advice you were given. You might consider tempering off the StJW. It acts like an SSRI. Getting on and off SSRI's can be rough.

It may be worthwhile to get off the StJW and then see the doctor. As you say, the StJW was masking symptoms.

Self medicating with St John's Wort has been know to be a hit and miss endeavor, especially with an mTBI.

Getting clean and then getting a targeted medication would sound better to me.

What amounts of B, D and anti-oxidants vitamins, folic acid, Omega 3's, and such are you taking daily?

My perspective is to give the brain the best chance to function with good 'normal' supplementation before adding extras like SSRI's and St John's Wort. I am not against pharmaceuticals. I just like to see the brain given a good change to work first. I have experienced the improvement that good supplementation can do.

Your pharmacist is on the right track about not living alone. You sound like you have a very sensitive system. You need a support structure of caring people while you are going through this.

You might ask your doctor for a blood pressure med (propanolol, atenolol or such to help keep you blood pressure down). This can be a very effective short term remedy while your system purges the St John's Wort. I take propanolol for break-out anxiety issues. Occasionally. I will get over-stimulated and need to get settled. Works for me with low side effects and does not interact with most other meds.

My best to you, especially in this trying time.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote