View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, as you know, I'm in recovery ~ and I'm also a chronic pain patient. There is NO WAY I can even WALK without pain medications. My whole spine has pretty much collapsed due to all kinds of problems and the pain is agonizing, even WITH meds. I've been on meds since 1995 - and I've been in recovery since 1993.

Can I still keep my original recovery date?? YES, because I only take the meds for the reason prescribed and i take ONLY THE AMOUNT prescribed. I've NEVER taken more than I'm supposed to. I've talked this over with my Home group and with my sponsor and they all agree that I can keep my original sobriety date because I need the meds to basically 'survive.'

You can do this too if you are diligent about how you take your meds - and don't get high on them or abuse them. You have to want sobriety more than anything else ~ and I did!! I'd had enough of that horrible life, of withdrawals and being 'drunk.' I figured one day I'd go too far and that would be that ~ I'd be dead!

Spinal pain is one of the worst things in the world if you ask me. i've had to deal with it for 25 years now, and I'm getting mighty tired. LOL But I thank God we have meds to help. If you feel you do need pain meds to function, then see the pain doc. If you think you can make it thru with over-the-counter pain relievers ~ use them instead. God bless, and keep me posted. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes