View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 04:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Laugh L5 S1 Bi Lateral (right & Left) discectomy success!

Hi,

Just wanted to give some hope to those of you living with constant discomfort of back and leg pain.

I suffered a double disc prolapse of L5 S1 that started in Jan 2009 after a 1/2 Iron Man event, what I thought was a pulled hamstring developed over 3 months into full on leg weakness and numbness on the left and severe sciatica on the right. (no back pain)

I tried every conservative treatment I could find, accupuncture, PT, Osteo, massage etc etc and it did get better to the stage were I could walk over 10km and swim up to 3km but never again rode my bike/s. Then in April 2010 I had a major replapse after a short run which put me on my back and unable to stand for 9 days, tried a cortisone injection which got me walking again, but with a considerable limp.

At 39 I was pretty down about all this, especially since a major past time of mine is sport and fitness!

I lost count of the amount of people telling me surgery horror stories and to never go under the knife!

So I was between a rock and a hard place, no quality of life, but no solution and in consatant pain.

Last week I bit the bullet and had the operation, a discectomy.

Pain gone when I woke and general numbness and tingling in legs decreasing daily.

If the recovery ends here I am way better off and happier than I was a week ago and 90% quality of life is back!

Early days, but so far I am estatic about the result!

I'd do it again!

Just thought I'd post this as everywere I turned it was doom and gloom, especially on the web!

Just one cavet, if anyone feels the need to add a negative comment to my post, please dont! : )

Keep positive people!

Cheers
kiwee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote