View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm08 View Post
Hi everyone, Yesterday, I received a notice from SSD, stating backpay from SSI was over paid in the amount a lil over $10,000. Don't know why they are saying that. I havn't received that high of money. Has anyone recieved anything similiar to this?
I'm going to the local office next week, to see why. Also, my daughter too were over paid they said a lil over $100 each.
aagh! I don't get it. I turned in all income proof going back to 2006. Oh also, it states on letter that I received Workers Comp., I never have recieved that, only State Disabilty for a total of 1 1/2 yrs, I showed them proof went to office twice because they requested it.
They are at fault not me. Sorry just venting.

Thanks
Does the letter state worker's comp or public disability benefits? Or does it just say worker's comp? California's SDI is public disability benefits. And if you received SDI in the same month that you were paid for SSDI, the combination of the two cannot exceed 80% of your average current earnings. I thought SDI only lasts 12 months, so you shouldn't be overpaid more than 12 months unless you got some extension or had a combination of SDI and worker's comp. That may have cause the overpayment. But I thought you just became entitled so I am a bit confused by the amount. Unless your retroactive benefits cover 2006 to present.

When you go down to talk to the "idiots" that process your payment, you won't be able to bring a pay stub since SSA does not issue pay stubs. The "idiots" can look in database to determine what money was paid out, but it is not a straightforward system - it takes some deciphering by the "idiots".

You will want to request a waiver of the overpayment. Be prepared to show that not only are not at fault, but also that your income and expenses and assets are too low for you to be able to repay the overpayment.

It would be good if you can talk to one of the "idiot" claims representatives rather than one of the "idiot" service representatives at the front window, but you may get good information from both. However, it is unlikely that this issue will be resolved with just one visit and one form, so keep track of which "idiot" you speak with, what the "idiot" says, and keep copies of documents you submit to the "idiot".
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote