View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Ali,

Sorry to hear of your struggles.

I've never experienced a collapse like you had but I know that the motor control brain area can become overloaded. One researcher talks about doing a neuro-exam where they test your reflexes (the rubber hammer ) and after repeated negative results (the nerve causes a reflex action) the nerves can finally fatigue and cause a positive result (the reflex action is fatigued and absent).

It is not a good idea to keep busy after a concussion. You may not need bed rest but you do need a very low stress environment. It is more important for you to sleep well than rest in bed. When you are sleeping well, you will enter REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep. This is when the brain repairs itself.

So, the rest you need should be quiet (no chaotic noise), no visual over-stimulation, only light physical work load (household tasks should be OK), and not time demands on completing these tasks. Take is slow until you get a sense that you can focus better and slowly increase the intensity of your day.

You may need weeks of this low stress rest. So, simplify your day and over time, things will get better. Search NT for nutrition and you will find some vitamin and other supplement recommendations. The brain needs these to purge the toxins from your injury and heal.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote