View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Psychogenic Non Epileptic Seizures

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_laura View Post
Hi! Does anyone have any information/personal experience with psychogenic seizures. I just recently read a little about that, but I wanted to know more and am having problems finding out symptoms, treatment, etc. Also, Todd's syndrome. (everything I read about it, it is paralysis after a seizure, but our primary care doctor is stating it is paralysis, from migraines). It sounds like the psychogenic seizures are very hard to diagnose for epileptic seizures. My husband has a variety of seizures, including grand mal and I was trying to find more information on the psychogenic seizures. He has been only different medications for years, but nothing shows up on mris, eegs, etc. Thank-you and God Bless!
:

Dear Aunt Laura,
I have suffered from Psychogenic Non Epileptic Seizures for the past six years.
In 2004, I had a heart attack and had to have a valve replacement. A yr. after this, I began to have what was diagnosed as anxiety attacks, or panic attacks.
I then began to go to Mental Health where I have been on meds and have talk therapy. I had to retire from my job because the seizures rendered me incapable of teaching. Anyway, the Medical University of South Carolina, did every kind of test they could think of to see if I had epilepsy. But there's the problem, sometimes the PNES is actually epilepsy, and sometimes the epilepsy is actually PNES. It's a very fine line.

My triggers are, loud music with very loud bass, being upset, and especially being startled. Being startle can send me into a seizure that is a real you know what. Oh, and there is also one person who is a trigger, and I can't even walk into my old school.

My PNESs actually look like epileptic seizures, but when I am given an EEG,
it comes out normal. (Go figure).

I would suggest that you go to Google or Bing and search all you can on PNES, because for a long time, I was told it was all in my head. (Please excuse the pun). It was also discovered that I was bi polar. I don't know if that has anything to do with the seizures, but I thought I would put it in there.

Thanks for letting me tell you that your hubby isn't the only one. There are more of us out there than we think.

Sincerely,
Snorkelswimmer

PS: Epilepsy drugs and talk therapy have helped alot.
Snorkelswimmer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote