View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 07:29 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have tinnitus, and have dealt with it for years now. My head sounds like a field of cicadas/kadydids all the time, sometimes louder. After a time, I learned to deal with it..it doesn't keep me awake, and generally, it doesn't interfere in my everyday life other than often I do have to ask people to repeat what they say. Sometimes I have difficulty understanding what someone is saying to me on the phone too, I have to ask them to talk slower.

I saw an ENT doc, was tested for all sorts of hearing tests and such...very mild hearing loss, and no reason he could find for the tinnitus. For some, it just goes away as quickly as it comes on, for some, it's with you for life.

To be honest, there are much worse things we could deal with than tinnitus. Try not to concentrate on it. Do not fall for any of those fake cures out there, they don't work, and don't try to wear ear plugs as others have told me do wonders, all they do is make the noise louder.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote