View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hattie,

Sorry to hear of your struggles. But, with a neuro-psych assessment, you can start to move forward.

Your neuropsych assessment sounds similar to mine. High IQ but very low processing speed. Both neuropsychs said I had depression as a cause. They were both wrong.

A problem with neuropsychs is they try to mix neuropsychology with poor understandings of PCS physiology. <However it says also that there is no damage or injury to the brain. > Could it be that they made this comment after seeing you medical records about the imaging studies done?

Or, some neuropsychs have a biased belief that high IQ indicates no brain damage. This is dead wrong. They have failed to read the research that shows divergent scores (high IQ with low processing speed/memory etc) is a direct indicator of organic brain injury. Studies show that a devastating brain injury that shows a serious loss of other neuro-psych scales can have only a ten percent drop in IQ. IQ's tend to be very resilient.

What is more important is the symptoms they have validated. The slow processing speed is likely the reason for the fatigue from reading. I have the same problem.

How were your visual memory indicators?

The task before you now is to learn work-arounds and accommodations for your deficits. I have not found a solution to my reading problems. I have discovered that I can read factual writings that have a linear flow of facts. If I try to read fiction or overly descriptive works, I get overwhelmed.

The results tell you one thing that is important. You are not imagining these symptoms. You are not going crazy or losing your mind. You are injured. You have very specific dysfunctions.

Your pursuit of a degree in literature may need a different angle of attack. Your memory scores may be an indicator of your likely success.

With your IQ still intact, you should be able to have some areas of high function. It can be frustrating for this high functioning to occasionally bump into a brick wall. But it is likely the life you have to learn to live with.

Embrace the NEW you and move on. Find the new ways you need to learn. You old learning skills are damaged and ineffective. This does not mean your eduction is over. It has just changed a bit.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote