Thread: Where to begin?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 12:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your and your son's struggles. Brain injuries truly take a toll on the whole family, and you've been dealing with this for a long time. Hang in there ma'ma!

Does your son have an individual education plan at school? If not, that is definately something to consider. He may do better with a little more time on tests, options for re-takes, etc.

Our daughter went to a psychologist about 3 months in to her injury. She was one of the best doctors we saw. She was referred to us through a university sports team as someone experienced in athletics, adolescents, and brain injury. We only saw her once, intially for screening for irrational anger and depression, but it was honestly one of our best doctor visits. She had such a great way of explaining how brain injury impacts learning, coping skills, suggestions for dealing with teachers, etc.

Since he is a teenager, it is nearly impossible to tell if he is just acting as he would have anyway, or if this injury has caused behavioral issues. This experience has made him, and you, a different person. To be on the safe side I would ask for in depth testing of his adrenal, thyroid, and pituitary systems. Search this site to find out the best testing methods (saliva, blood, etc.), but make sure you see an endochronologist not just a GP...seems to make a difference.

One last thing...I seem to be the board cheerleader for vision therapy...so here it goes. My daughter was having very similar issues in school, was starting to change her habits to avoid crowds, cranky, etc., as her injury wore on. She just completed a 12-week course of vision therapy and the difference has been amazing. I can't tell you that was the total reason for her improvements, or if it was just time to heal, but she is amazingly better. Google "post traumatic vision syndrome". Your typical opthomologist or optomotrist won't do the tests required to diagnose this without some back up so print out some info before your son's next vision appointment.

All the best to you!
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote