View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 08:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
Hello all, it's been a while since I've posted. I'm having a very bad day. It's been 3.5 years since my diagnosis, with mostly just a big tremor in R. hand, until the last few weeks. Now I also have painful, almost crippling dystonia in my R. leg and foot: toes curling under, ankle turning under, cramping and stiffness, giving me a big limp that makes it very difficult to walk. Quite upsetting and depressing. I had resisted meds due to concerns about side effects, relying instead on exercise and supplements, but finally 8 months ago my MDS convinced me to try carbidopa/levodopa 25/100, 1 pill 3 X day. It didn't seem to help the tremor at all, so she increased it to 2 pills 3 X day a few weeks ago. The dystonia started to develop about 3 months ago, but has really gotten bad since the dosage increase. I worry that the dystonia is meds-induced and wonder if I should stop taking them. Any advice or experiences with dystonia would be greatly appreciated. I know you can't suddenly stop meds, but how gradually must it be done if I want to try it? Many, many thanks.
Peony,
I've found dystonia to be very responsive to levodopa.
Perhaps if you try less sinemet at a time more frequently and still in total for 24hrs have amt neuro prescribed?
That and or try adding something like comtan to lengthen your ons and therefore reduce the dystonia?
Cheers
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote