View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 08:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Bryanna,
I just wanted to give you a follow up on my extractions and dental appointment. I had my extractions done 5 weeks ago tomorrow. I did have 1 small sinus perforation but that has healed now. I went back to my dentist on day 4 and had my impressions done and it was no problem at all. I asked my dentist why he wouldn't do immediates and take the impression ahead of time and he said he has been making dentures for many years and that he gets a far better fit by waiting until the teeth have been removed because things can change, there can be bone loss etc... and he is very picky about getting the bite exact. He had me come back after 2 hours and try in the wax ins and then his lab guy came in so the dentist could go over the changes he wanted made for the denture. I received my denture the next evening. I will say that I belong to a dental support group and I have seen many people have problems with their immediates fitting properly and I didn't have that at all. My midline is exact, my bite is now perfect and I have a great fit. By week 3, I was able to go back to completely normal eating. I have had steak, corn on the cob and several other foods that I wasn't able to eat before because my teeth were so bad. I can't tell you the relief it has been to be able to smile, eat and be infection free.
roxie197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi roxie,

To answer your question... yes, there is a slight risk of disturbing the surgical areas when taking the impression for the denture 3 days post op which are bleeding, pain, and loosening of the sutures. Ideally, the surgical areas should not be disturbed for several days or more depending on the degree of surgery that was done. The risk of developing a dry socket is not so much an issue as long as the surgical areas have already clotted completely.

As far as not trying in the wax impressions while the teeth are present.... that is his personal choice but as far as the fit and esthetics, it really does not make any difference on the outcome of the denture.

It is great that his services come so highly recommended!! I wouldn't worry so much about the impressions.... you will probably be ok and if for any reason he thought he should wait longer than the 3 days, then I'm sure he would.

Please keep us posted !
Bryanna
roxie197 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote