View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 07:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Am I being too hasty in seeing problems with this article, and wondering about it. I do not have a DBS myself, and do not wish to have one, but have been following information about it for a while.

There were two things that caught my attention in this article.

This:

The procedure is used only for patients whose symptoms cannot be adequately controlled with medications.

and this:

Surgical removal of the area of the brain causing Parkinson's disease is still an effective alternative and should be considered in patients.

The emboldened text is mine.

I am quite open to being challenged on this, perhaps I am wrong in being concerned. And I am aware that this is not a study, it is just an article, but these things help influence peoples decision making, and by that I mean not only patients.

I would not pretend to be any kind of expert on DBS, but that is my point really, this article does not give clarity, it just rang alarm bells....... firstly because of things related to the confusion between side-effects, tolerance of medication and symptoms, the second because nowhere have I seen 'surgical removal of the area of the brain CAUSING PD' described in that way before. In addition 'motor fluctuations' is used alongside 'tremor'. The first is a side effect and the second a primary symptom of PD.

Please forgive me if I am being too pedantic about this.

Lindy
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
violet green (10-15-2010)