View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 09:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I have overlapping diseases

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrik View Post
I agree! One is enough.

B2Y - It does suckth very much. I hate going to the dr and the last time I went I have a series of testing to go through for some other possible disease process going on. UGH! That was back in August and I still haven't gotten the blood tests done.
Right now I am itching like mad, and I don't know whether Porphyria or Polycythemia Vera did it. It probably isn't MS. But MS neuro symptoms overlap a lot with Porphyria. And Porphyria makes it nearly impossible to take many of the MS medications.

I was in the ER yesterday and had a phlebotomy, and the crew were very good about remembering my porphyria. Careful with eye drops, looked them up to see if safe, and gave me a high carb breakfast. I can get a Porph exacerbation of other illnesses are not treated well.

Right now, itching, but my eyes are better after the phleb. I believe that eye
problem was due to high hematocrit, a PV event, not due to MS, although in the past I did have very severe eye problems with MS--but differerent eye
problems. Optic neuritis is not very much like foggy, painful eyes. Then I had double vision and blind spot; I did have pain from too much light or watching TV.

Swank said that MS could be diagnosed by slowly moving blood particles; my PV involves thick blood. I don't know if Porph has anything to do with that, but I do know that eating the low fat diet Swank invented for MS also
helps Porph. I am not sure it helps PV but probably does because it may
keep arteries clear, allowing the thick blood to pass through.

Yes it sucketh having so many entrees in the cafeteria of life's ailments.

Mariel
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (10-16-2010), SallyC (10-15-2010)