View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubylea View Post
I don’t understand how all these awful physical symptoms could be caused by anxiety. But, right now I am so overwhelmed and I am hoping someone can offer some guidance or ideas on what could be going on here or any similar experience. I appreciate any insight so much.
Hi Rubylea,

I wouldn't say that all those symptoms are caused by anxiety, but could they be? Out of curiosity, I just did a couple of quick google searches for "anxiety can cause" and "physical symptoms of anxiety" (both within quotes). The short answer is... pretty much.

I think most of us here understand the feelings of being overwhelmed when suddenly (or not so suddenly) confronted with a baffling medical puzzle that no-one seems to understand - especially one involving (chronic) pain. It's a wake-up call. Yet some of us can go for years without clear-cut or satisfactory answers.

While we all hope for a speedy resolution for you, there's a good probability that this will be a process. As a life-altering event, there's a lot in common with other kinds of life-altering events, so try another search for "stages of grief" (within quotes). You may not experience all of these stages, and you may experience them in a different order, but it's likely you will experience at least some of them.

How is your relationship (confidence, trust, communication) with your PCP? You are the captain of your Medical Team, but your PCP is your "quarterback" (If the analogy bothers you feel free to pick another); S/he will be the most important member/coordinator of your team, so a good relationship with him/her is paramount. Whether you stick with your current PCP or find another, develop a strategy with him/her for going at this thing logically & methodically.

I don't have experience with your specific issues, but I do have stenosis in the same location (L5/S1), and everyone here is on "the journey". One positive outcome could come of all this: If you stick with your nursing plans, this is going to make you one heck of a more effective professional because you will know what it's like from our (patient's) POV, and will know exactly what your patients will be feeling and going through because you're there now. If only all medical professionals could experience that for a time.

I'm going to stop here (for now); it's late, and I don't want to overwhelm you. Hang in there.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote