View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I am very confused. I have never heard of drugs specifically for TBI. There are various meds for individual neurological symptoms that may also have no connection to a TBI. Actually, it sounds more like you have suffered an mTBI (mild TBI).

Aricept has not been approved for treatment of mTBI or TBI. The studies to see if it helps have been discouraging. Aricept works as a reversible inhibitor of the enzyme acetylcholinesterase. Acetylcholinesterase processes can malfunction after a TBI.

The big question is this. Most studies show that Aricept loses it effectiveness after 18 months or so. Does it further damage this process? Nobody knows yet.

Can the brain be helped with these enzymes by non-drug methods. There are many who have strong evidence to support that it can.

TBI does not 'turn' into dementia. Untreated symptoms from TBI can cause further damage. Insomnia, apnea, high blood pressure/anxiety/stress all can change the long term condition of the brain. My father developed and died from long term effects of Central Sleep Apnea. His non-Alzheimer's Dementia lasted over 20 years and slowly progressed until it appeared that he had Alzheimer's Disease.

Studies show that mTBI/PCS can lead to a 10 fold increase in Alzheimer's Disease. The problem with this statistic is that there is not effor made to post mortem examine those persons to see if they actually had AD or instead a deterioration without the AD markers. Multiple Impact Syndrome as seen in professional football players is a progressive condition in many.

There is also plenty of information that indicates that inactivity will speed up the progression of dementias.

There are many who are concerned that many psychotropic drugs (anti-depressants, anti-anxiety drugs, etc.) can contribute to this decline.

Unfortunately, the Big Pharma money pushes their patented Brand name drugs as the solution for most maladies, even when there is weak evidence to back up their claims.

So, the real jury is definitely still out. We need much more unbiased research to find the true answers. Just because the drug companies back using drugs does not make it the best approach. In case you don't know, we have the best FDA money can 'buy.' All drug approval comes through the FDA.

Regarding concern about progressive dementia. I watched my father decline for those 20 years. He was a very functional person until the last 18 months. Then, his real decline started. He was still going to the health club (gym) and doing a 45 minute workout three months before he passed. He was non-ambulatory for only the last 3 to 4 weeks.

His saving action was recognizing his decline, accepting it, and establishing many work-arounds and accommodations so he could live a full life. He snow skied 40 or more days per season until the last two years.

We all have a very long way to go.

btw, I watched my father decline in comparison to my decline. I am ten years post 'life changing' injury. My current condition is like my father's condition was 20 years before he died.

Also, almost all Pharmacists are Pharm D's now. Master's in Pharmacy became inadequate decades ago. I doubt if any M Pharm are still active.

So, you have a job ahead. You need to make an effort to connect with others and life in general. This is how you will stay functional. get out of the house. Find something to do that is stimulating.

I am repairing cars from the 1990's and reselling them to cash strapped young drivers. I don't make much money for the hours I put in but it gets me off my duff and engaged in life.

Studying mTBI for the past ten years has also allowed me to connect with others like here on NT.

My participation in a brain injury support group is also very beneficial. I see others in much worse condition doing things that were supposed to be impossible. Meet people like these and you will likely be inspired.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Toni S (10-17-2010)