View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Annie, You need to get to your doctor and talk about all of this. We can't really do anything but support you, which I'm more than glad to do.

There are three types of reactions you can get from drugs. I'll use Mestinon as an example.

http://mestinon.com/index.jspf

1. Side Effects: A side effect of Mestinon is something like having diarrhea. Valeant uses side effects and adverse effects interchangeably. That's not entirely accurate. A side effect is something to be expected from a drug for some people.

2. Adverse Reaction: An adverse reaction to Mestinon is something that is not necessarily "to be expected." That could include muscle twitching, cramping and increased weakness. That may be a sign of an overdose or not taking enough of the drug. Or it could be an adverse reaction to any ingredient in the drug.

3. Allergic Reaction: An allergic reaction would include things like increased mucous, throat closing, hives, anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock. Not everyone has all allergic reactions and may only have one.

Take chemotherapy drugs, for example. A side effect is anemia or losing your hair. Not fun but they are to be expected. An adverse reaction would be hemolytic anemia or bleeding, something that isn't really expected. An allergic reaction is always the same for any drug, even if it presents differently in everyone, such as the hives.

I honestly don't know what you have had. Only you and your doctor can figure that out.

Are you sure you aren't lactose intolerant and that is causing the upset stomach?

I think a discussion with your doctors is the best. None of us are doctors and we don't know your entire medical history or what drugs you are on. Please call your doctor.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote