Thread: VA disability
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 08:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smae View Post
Is it SSI or SSDI that you are asking about? You said "Social Security Disability" and that is SSDI.

SSI is Supplemental Security Income. They are very different.

The difficulty level depends on a lot of things... the state you live in and how many people apply (well, that's more for how long it takes). What condition(s) you have and how much it prevents you from working and living a 'normal' life. All I heard over and over was that SSI was difficult to get and that it could take 2-4 years and most people have to appeal and get a lawyer. I applied in June and 3 months (to the day) later I was approved. Still in the final steps as far as figuring out what I will get (based on what I pay and such).. but I was approved over a month ago. I didn't find it difficult at all and did not need a lawyer--but I am also bedridden and so it is quite obvious that I am totally unable to work.

Good luck.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant SSDI. I have a TBI from the military, and though I work (in the hospital that treats me with an understanding boss, though a major pay cut in salary) this last year my memory has gotten worse, and I have become a shut-in because of the paranoia I am a nice person but loud noises (or people) really make me uncomfortable also.

I guess if I work, I am not qualified for SSDI, or is that true?

I have 3 doctors (Psych, PM&R and Psychologist), on 10 medications daily (going up to 11 today) and have a service dog. Is stuff like this taken into account?

smae, I hope you get all the benefits that you request and need!
July63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote