View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Follow Up on Cutting Narco Meds Out

Not long ago I was referred to a pain management clinic for eval and treatment of my severe chronic PN and overall pain. Normally around 6.5 and peaking at 8+ through out the day.

After several visits to him and referral to a physiatrist for additional eval an more extensive treatment it was decided there was nothing they could do for me since I have a degenerative disease of the cerebellum, atrophy, ataxia, and spinocerebellar ataxia. They tried tramadol, clonazepam, tegretol, hydrocodone, all with severe side effects. Then they wanted to step it up to Lyrica and even try Ketivan (a horse pain killer).

I drew the line in the sand and decided to deal with the chronic pain as I could but live life on my terms vs. being dictated by the meds, their actual and potential side effects. I could die of all kinds of complications from these meds and the dosages I was Rx'd. BUT! I wouldn't feel anything.

It took over 3 1/2 weeks to titrate down and off these meds suffering withdraw. Not a pretty situation. This is definitely the case of the cure is worse than the disease. Ironically, when I explained how I felt about these meds and the terminal situation, every single doctor agreed with and supported my decision.

Sometimes a decision has to be made in your own best interest to live your life on your terms and still be able to experience it without masking it with meds. Is it hard? Yes, but I am "feeling" more of life than I have since I went to the pain clinic.

Just updating you guys on this decision of two months ago.

Richmond, VA USA
NeuroNixed Craig is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (10-19-2010), mrsD (10-19-2010), SandyC (10-19-2010)