Thread: Back to Work
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanB View Post
Oh well, the economy's bad, and I should be grateful, right?

Sorry for the self-pity party. And thanks for listening.
Well, yes and no.

If you've been searching for a job and finally one has opened up, that is great! It may not be the ideal job, but better than none.

However, if you think that it is going to cause your symptoms to get much worse, is it worth it?

I am 24 and the week after I graduated college, I was bedridden... that was 6 months ago. I would -love- to have a job.. but I am totally unable to function and take care of myself as is... so getting a job would be pointless. I wouldn't even make it through one hour let alone one day.

But it sounds like you are in a slightly different situation and have been wanting to get back to work. So, I am glad that you were able to find a job.

But I'm not sure that anything is worth the risk of making the symptoms flare up... at least in my experience, doing things that hurt me have made the PN much worse all the time--it's not as if I push myself and overdo it and then two days later I'm back to "normal". Anytime I do things that hurt me, it has a long lasting effect. If that isn't the case with you, then maybe the job will be a blessing.

Either way... I didn't think your post was a pity party. This is what the forum is here for--to talk to others in similar situations and get advice and support. Nothing wrong with that.

I truly wish you the best, and hope that the job works out well and that it is not too much for you to handle. However, if you find that it is, please consider quitting or searching for a job that doesn't require such a long drive. It may take time, but there's gotta be a better fit for you out there... don't hurt yourself permanently for the sake of wanting a job. (I know it's not always that easy and that financial problems usually make it so people have to work even if they don't want to or don't feel that they can... believe me, I'm not saying it's easy by any means.)

Aside from the long commute, is the job a good situation? Are you able to sit when you need to, etc?

Take care of yourself.. and good luck.

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote