View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Dextromethorphan is a weak NMDA pain receptor blocker.

It has studies on PubMed for use for post operative pain in high dose. One of our PN posters was offered a trial of this at Johns Hopkins, and it did not work for him.

However, I have used it for my foot pain, and typically take one
Mucus cough DM tablet at bedtime for my sinus congestion, and the DM helps my feet some. (this is generic Humibid LA DM and available at WalMart.) It is somewhat less expensive than the liquid.

I don't think it is very good however, for severe chronic pain.

The PD forum here uses it in small amounts for their dystonic movements. If you search at Parkinson's you will find many posts about it.

Delsym cough syrup is plain DM with no other ingredients.

The FDA is looking at DM products, and may start to control them more tightly, since abuse with them is common by the younger set. Expect to show your driver's license when you buy it at the register. WalMart doesn't check us, since we are gray and obviously OLD. But Target DOES.

I personally like DM... but it is not as strong as tramadol for me for pain.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyS (10-19-2010)