View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 11:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Polliwog, I started on Permax, another dopamine agonist like Mirapex. I was nauseous from day one, and never did really get over it. I stuck with it because I didn't know any better and my MDS said there was no difference between the agonists and switching wouldn't help. He was wrong. After a year and a half (I'm not sure whether I'm more stubborn or stupid!), I was losing too much weight and had learned enough to insist on switching to Mirapex. My only problems with it have been very mild ankle swelling. No, I don't see any lights. I also take Sinemet.

Do Not switch to Permax - it has been implicated in heart valve damage. Requip is your other choice of agonist. The best drug for you is somewhat age dependent. It seems that most neurologists prefer to start younger people off with an agonist because prolonged use of Sinemet, the most effective drug for PD, may lead to dyskinesia or unwanted movement. If you're older, the agonists may have too many side effects like hallucinations and you're better off with Sinemet. There are other drugs that may be helpful, but I don't know much about them. Good luck!! "Start low and go slow" when it comes to a new drug.
wendy s is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote