View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 03:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Mrs. D...

The doctor is going to write a script, they come in pill form that can be compounded. I have my pharmacist looking into it, he has a compounding lab. It will be interesting to see what he comes back with. I did research it a little, but it is mostly used for Fibro and CFS. I was surprised. I will keep you posted when I hear from my pharmacist. Thank you again for the information.

Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Dextromethorphan is a weak NMDA pain receptor blocker.

It has studies on PubMed for use for post operative pain in high dose. One of our PN posters was offered a trial of this at Johns Hopkins, and it did not work for him.

However, I have used it for my foot pain, and typically take one
Mucus cough DM tablet at bedtime for my sinus congestion, and the DM helps my feet some. (this is generic Humibid LA DM and available at WalMart.) It is somewhat less expensive than the liquid.

I don't think it is very good however, for severe chronic pain.

The PD forum here uses it in small amounts for their dystonic movements. If you search at Parkinson's you will find many posts about it.

Delsym cough syrup is plain DM with no other ingredients.

The FDA is looking at DM products, and may start to control them more tightly, since abuse with them is common by the younger set. Expect to show your driver's license when you buy it at the register. WalMart doesn't check us, since we are gray and obviously OLD. But Target DOES.

I personally like DM... but it is not as strong as tramadol for me for pain.
SandyS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote