View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 02:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by art chick View Post
I have thymectomy surgery (including removing all adjacent fat and lymphnodes) scheduled for Friday, November 5th.

Can anyone tell me how long they were on pain meds with the full sternotomy approach? How long did it take until you felt like yourself again? My family is talking about getting together on Thanksgiving 3 weeks after surgery and I am really wondering if that would be way too soon...

debra
I bet you will be ready for family by the 3rd week, just don't overdo it and let everyone else do ALL the work that goes with Thanksgiving! You should just sit back and enjoy your loving family taking care of you. You shouldn't have any problems enjoying the food either!

It will be 5 weeks this Friday, since I had my full sternotomy Thymectomy. I did not have anything other than my Thymus removed, but I was back home by Monday and only taking Tylenol from then on, right before bed to help with any soreness and turning over in the night. I really wasn't in much pain, except for soreness of my muscles when I moved. This has for the most part all gone away now. The incision its self, hasn't really caused any problems. I did have a problem with a little bleeding from where my chest tube was. It took 15 days to create a scab, so I could leave it uncovered. I also suffered pain from a mild cough, and had to go on antibiotics for several weeks to clear up that. I'm not 100% yet, as I get sleepy during the day, but I push though that now, as I have to go back to work at the end of next week. Having some vision issue, but that seems to be it as far as still showing any symptoms.

Have a great Thanksgiving with your family and best of luck to you as you continue with your medical journey. May it be as painless as possible.

Last edited by lolligrump; 10-20-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
lolligrump is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote