Thread: Hey Beth...
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi G!

The SCS has been a real lifesaver, wish I'd done it a year or more ago! It's really not comparable to a TENS so much, because a TENS is external, and competing with the ongoing nerve pain. The SCS has a lead, or 2 in my case, 1 for each arm, implanted in the motor processing area at the base of the skull, and instead of the pain signal being sent on from the brain, the stimulation is sent INSTEAD. And the Dr. works out a program on the computer that sends the signal to the perfect location to knock out your pain, once the leads are in the exact location. It's very individualized and impressive.

Of course, I heard once again the same thing, "Wow, you're very complex". If I only had a trophy for every time I've heard that!!!

Anyway, because it doesn't work for everyone, and because it is very expensive, they always do a trial first. I highly recommend at least thinking about it if your TOS or TOS/RSD is chronic and the pain is debilitating, and you've exhausted other options. I'm hoping to try to decrease my Oxycontin after I see my Dr at the end of the month - and that's saying a lot for me!

I am having problems with Lyrica affecting my kidneys, have been trying to juggle so I have some benefit but not the drawbacks - but am fairly certain I'll have to go off altogether. Nothing else helps the bad nerve pain for me quite the same as the gaba meds, darn it!

Am also still majorly fighting sleep problems. I can sleep 8-10 hours now, deep sleep, with dreams even! Problem is I am stuck in the night owl mode, have been wired for years now to be wide awake til 3 or 4, and take a long nap during the day. I can't get into a normal schedule, I've tried. Even if I stay up all day, which is almost impossible, maybe 1 night out of 3 am I actually ready to sleep at 10:00 p.m. or so. Am wondering if I need a sleep clinic to get it sorted out, but the thought of more Dr-types and "treatment rooms" is more than I want to think about at the moment, ya know?

Been bitter cold for weeks here, my hands have been feeling it The SCS actually helps keep the blood circulating better in the hands, so they stay warmer, but not in these temperatures. Zero tonight with wind chill of minus 10 - and that's warmer than last week!

No movement on my case - new lawyer for govt. hasn't even gotten an appt with the Dr I was supposed to have seen in Jan for an IME, so we would all have the report Feb 2 at our last phone conference. I can't think about it or I get so upset I want to take my frustration out on something - with my forehead

I am off to Philly on Sunday! I see Dr Schwartzman on Monday, this is my follow-up appt to my ketamine treatment that ended last May - don't laugh. If you can imagine, I was actually scheduled last Monday the 12th, but he was out of the office so they called and rescheduled me for this coming Monday, meaning they bumped someone else who had waited a YEAR or more to see Dr S. I almost said forget it, because of the distance and expense, but it is too precious a chance to pass up, and I need some better answers about my RSD, and what if anything can be done about my legs and feet hurting, some days I hobble like I'm 80.

I also hope to see Dr Togut, I hope he can fit me in. I need his take on just how bad this left side is, I think there's the same pattern of muscle loss as in the right. I know it's gotten much clumsier.

That's way too much about me!! Sorry you asked?? What's going on with you? I miss my friends here so much - I'm just trying to be really good about not doing things I know aggravate my arms, like computer stuff The pain is MUCH better, but I'm still doing a little watching over my shoulder for it, and being very, very good, just in case Tell me what's new in your life?

Wishing I was a California girl right now, that's for sure!

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote