View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 05:51 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Welcometo this site

hello and first let me say welcome and also, I am sorry you are having problems.
it is not uncommon with TN for your medication to have to be adjusted. I found that I would be put on something and it would work for a while and then I would seem to build a tolerance and the pain would start coming back. I would continually have to have another drug added or increase a dose. eventually all the anti seizure drugs and anti depressants quit working for me.
there are many that are able to use the drugs to treat their Tn successfully, but do need adjustments and have to adjust to the side effects.
I am curious as to your age and why the near said that would be a reason to not have an MVD. I am 47 and I did have an MVD, In fact I had 2 MVD surgeries and they did find compressions and it did greatly help with my TN pain. I still have some TN pain when I have my teeth worked on, but it calms down after about a mo th or two. I recently had to have a root canal and new crown and it is acting up at the moment. I had 4 root canals and 3 crowns that I did not need before being properly diagnosed with TN. I just had to have another root canal because one of the previous crowns did not fit properly and it caused an abcess.
I would recommend that even if you really like your near that you get a second opinion from another near that specializes in TN. It is always a great idea to hear another opinion on what drugs might work...
I also am personally a big believer in MVD. it is a major surgery and yes it is hard, but if you could be free from pain without drugs and side effects. Not everyone is a good candidate and you have to weigh the risks and benefits. My first near told me I was not a candidate and I should never have an MVD. I finally decided to get second and third opinions and I am so glad I did.
Please let me know if I can help you in anyway, but I may not respond for about a week or two. I am leaving at end of week for 2 weeks in st Lucia.
I haven't been on a vacation in over a year.
good luck.
lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT User View Post
I have had TN since 2002 after a Root Canal but this has nothing to do with TN as it we did the process of elimination.

I was taking Carbamazepine 200mg and it seemed to solve all problems with no pain and no side effects.

The pain is back now, its not that bad as others describe. My pain is on my gum, only 1 spot. Tingling/burning. I would call this a discomfort but I still want to get rid of it. It can get frustrating.

I am on 600mg now and helps a little bit but most of the day the pain is there.

My Neurosurgeon does not recommend MVD at this point because of my age and the severity of of my pain. He thinks that we can fix this with meds.

MVD is very risky.
easygoing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
NT User (10-21-2010)