View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 18 year old female - Undiagnosed

Hi all! I'm here researching symptoms while I wait for more tests to come back on my 18 year old daughter. Her symptoms seem to fit MS, but she had a brain MRI done and it came back negative for MS. The only note they made was that she had an extra blood vessel in her brain on one side. The neurologist said that was nothing to worry about. Now we're waiting for a slew (9 vials of blood) of blood tests to come back one of which is the myasthenia gravis panel.

My daughter's symptoms really started to be noticable about 6 months ago but they're getting steadily worse. Started out with just general weakness.
At first I believed her to be hypoglycemic or just not getting enough rest.
She's gained about 20lbs in the past year, I'm not sure if that's a symptom or just a result of the fatigue. She's always been very active and now she's always tired. 5'0, 120lbs now.

About 2 months ago she started complaining about falling. She fell 2x in 3 days and wasn't able to immediately get back up again. She describes it as her legs just went out and then she was too weak to get right back up. She said her legs weren't numb or tingling, just they felt weak. Also, there's been several times in the past couple months she's had me help her put her hair in a ponytail because she can't raise her arms that high. She complains she just can't feel one or both of her arms, no tingling or anything, just completely numb.

She works as a food server and she complains about not having the strength to hand a customer a styrofoam cup. In the past month her speech has started slurring where you would swear she was drunk. She says her tongue is completely numb, again no tingling just numb. The more she tries to talk the worse it gets. It gets so bad you can't understand her at all. She hasn't fallen in the past month, but now the speech is the biggest problem. One of her managers at work has asked if she's drunk because of the speech. I'm worried about not having a diagnosis, and how long this will be able to go on before she loses her job or a cop thinks she's drunk or something.

Last night I noticed she opens bottles of water with her teeth now. I told her not to do that and she told me she can't open the bottle with her hands. She handed it to me to open and it was a very easy cap to open. Now I realize how extremely weak she really is. I don't know what to do at this point. If it gets any worse it's going to be completely debilitating. We need a diagnosis and hopefully something to help her symptoms or at least stop them from getting worse! If the myasthenia gravis test comes back negative I'm completely stumped as to what else it might be or what other tests the neurologist will try.

Any suggestions what this could be keeping in mind the brain MRI was negative and other blood work she had done about 4 months ago ruled out vitamin B deficiency, Lyme disease, diabetes and hypoglycemia?
jenae101 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote