View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default I must ask, IS she seeing a neurologist?

And more? Did she have a bout of flu in the past year? Do go thru your memory bank and go back and ask docs for copies of blood work from that past! Then let docs do blood work and some MRI's Cat's and Maybe even PET scans if you can? These tests combined can help you all get your daughter diagnosed.
Thing about MS? it 'shows lesions' in the brain where 'demeyelination' can and does occur. For other 'auto immune diseases'? It does not, because it's occurring at the 'molecular' level, at the extremity nerve endings. They don't show up on MRI's, ETC... As they are too small, then nerve conduction studies are called for: they measure the speed/rate nerve 'action/reaction' occurs from the extremeties to that brain. The 'nerve conduction and velocity studies' are key to diagnosis.
Don't panic yet.. IF it's a 'demeyelination' issue that isn't MS [which occurs in the brain] but one that occurs in what's called the 'peripheral' nerve system [anything outside the brain] There are treatements and protocols for testing and getting treatments! So, THERE IS HOPE! Downside is how's your insurance? Makes a lot of difference as to what you mite have your problems treated with for both the short and long term. I went to BIG GUNS Docs at teaching hospitals to get my diagnosis. Other docs tend to be more conservative and treat some issues too conservatively... That is all up to YOU and your daughter, and what tests you get, ...then what more tests you get! BE SURE TO ASK FOR RESULTS! THE REPORTS May seem like 'greek' at first? But, because you NEED to learn the lingo...it'll come. And BE useful. My heart goes out to you and your daughter! The whole thing gets really, 'OLD' after a while? But then you gotta keep up to date for the long run! I've had AN autoimmune- neuropathy for over 7 years now. I still lead a life, and can get around, tho with awkwardness [for a lack of a better way of putting it] and I'm still fighting to the last!
Feel free to ask me about it, and PM me when you can... I realize this is something totally mind-freaking and body crumpling SCARY! We get THRU and get BY!
's and hope! And don't be shy! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote