View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Tips and insights...

Peony,

I was like you with a wildly flapping hand most of the time, but sinemet really helped. Since it doesn't help you, here are some other thoughts:

My tremor is worse in tense situations and sometimes there's not much that can be done about those. But I have learned to take deep breaths with slow complete exhales and tell myself "calm" with each exhale. I also try to slow down my movements, no rushing around. If I rush, I not only tremor more, but I also start fumbling and dropping things. Try to focus on what you are doing, rather than the tremor.

Sometimes tremor is worse in certain positions, so experiment a little and move your arm/hand around to a position that gets a little less tremor or that is less obvious. If one hand tremors when you are holding a piece of paper to read something, try holding the paper in two hands. Put your fork down between bites rather than holding on to it and watching it dance around.

I have noticed that it gets worse when there are other physical problems such as a urinary tract infection or other illness. All PD symptoms are generally worse then. So if you suspect an infection or your tremor kicks up much more than usual, check it out with your doctor.

One other note, the most helpful thing you or anyone else can do is not to make a big deal of it. My husband often doesn't notice or doesn't get upset when I tremor and that helps me. His acceptance makes it easier for me to accept that it is just part of me so that I don't focus on it so much.

Humor sometimes helps. A friend gave a speech the other day and after introducing himself said, "I don't need anyone to shake my hand. It's shaking just fine all by itself."

Just some thoughts. Take what is useful, if anything, and discard the rest.

- J
Judith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (06-30-2011)