View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella View Post
Hey. Do you feel you benefit from these groups? I wish there were more support groups for chronic pain even. I am interested to see the video.
Yeah, we most certainly do benefit from going to support group meetings. My husband is now more sociable. He realizes he is not the only person on the planet who had this kind of pain.

And when we sit around and discuss, we can ask questions, we can find out the LATEST info on Neuropathy. In December, in Washington, DC, I believe, there is going to be a BIG symposium with all kinds of experts, and it's run by the Neuropathy Association. The leader of our group, Steve, is going to be there.

He is always finding out neat stuff to share with us.

What I find (and I've been going to meetings for 10 years), is even if there is no news to be learned from a particular meeting, we all join up and gab and talk and ask each other, "how are you doing, have you tried this for your pain, have you tried that".

Friendships have been made.

And sure, we have had a couple of odd people come and then they go. There are negative people, there are grumpy people, there are opinionated people, there are compassionate people, ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE.

We usually met (a few of us), one hour before the meeting at a nice place across the street and we have our dinner. You can grab any kid of food you wish because they have various display counters (Japanese, mexican, american, italian), etc, and you can take what you want, go over to a table and join the group.

Alan and I always go Japanese. It's fun to sit around (before the meeting), eat a meal, share some conversation), then we all go across the street to the meeting.

Many of these people are older people and need the socialization. Some are really disabled from their neuropathy. But all have something to share, and we can all learn from each other.

And the coffee and cookies ain't bad either!!!! lol

I shall finish editing the Flip video and post it later. I'm just waiting for approval from some members on the final cut of the 90 second video. It's one thing to say "Sure, I'll be in a video, but it's another thing to see the video and say "oh I don't like the way I look, get me out of this video".

So I'm respectful of the feelings of others.

Be back later. Melody
P.S. why not go to the Neuropathy Association home page, look up Support Groups, put in your zip code and see if there is a meeting near you?

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Rosie33 (03-08-2011)