View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
The earned income disregard for SSI is $65 per month. After that, SSI stops supplementing $1 for every $2 in gross wages. In other words, earn gross pay of $265 and SSI is $100 less than someone with no earnings. The supplement is reduced.
Yes... so someone could earn $265 in addition to receiving SSI ($574/mo, which is $100 less than the standard), right?

So if a person earned $265, that could mean they worked anywhere from 132.5 hours (when minimum wage is $2/hr) or 36.5 hours if the minimum wage is the federal standard ($7.25/hr). It all depends on where a person lives. But someone who is receiving SSI could still earn $165 a month which would add to the SSI benefit to total $839.

Or, if a person is receiving SSI but is not able to go work outside of the home, he or she could work from home, doing things for income such as caring for a child, editing papers for college students (or typing them, if a student is unable to do so), or making and selling jewelry or other homemade items online.

Unless I am missing something here, that is what it looks like to me.

Edit: Actually, usually SSI doesn't count beyond $85, not $65.

Quote:
Social Security does not count all of your income when we decide whether you qualify for SSI. For example, we do not count:

* The first $20 a month of most income you receive;
* The first $65 a month you earn from working and half the amount over $65

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote