View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 09:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree, Ada. If I didn't tell ppl that I was on fentanyl and percocet on a daily basis, nobody would know. A GOOD pain doctor will control your pain to a semi-tolerable level, but not have you so drugged up that you cannot function, or APPEAR to be on drugs.

The way my pain doc explained it to me, pain medication works with the part of hte brain that is responsible for feeling and sensing pain. Those of us who are really in pain and who take pain meds, won't appear "drugged up" because the drugs have a "purpose" in that area of the brain.

BUT

Those who AREN'T in pain, but take the pain meds for recreational use WILL appear "drugged up" because the drugs DON'T have a "purpose" in that area of the brain. Therefore, the "purpose" becomes "getting high."

When you see someone on pain meds who ACTS stoned, its eithr because they MAY be too highly medicated, or they don't have pain and are taking the meds recreationally.

That's why, my pain doc says, when he sees his patients, if they appear to him to be non-functional, as he would say Paula Abdul is, he would reconsider either A). their dosage, or B). the fact that they have pain at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
Visit My Message Board - Helping Custodial Parents Collect Child Support From Deadbeats for 7 Years

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
right Side TOS Decompression Surgery 12/2005
RSD Exacerbated after surgery
Still have TOS on left side
RSD On right side, currently in hand, forearm (underside), shoulder, chest, to hollow of throat, and in left hand creeping up into left wrist
LisaM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ali12 (01-21-2008), Sandel (01-19-2008)