View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 10:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Heart Dear Everyone,

Anybody would be confused, angry and hopeless in the face of a diagnosis of SCA. You will, and I suggest you do, look everywhere on the web for likely symptoms and what you can expect. I would suggest that if you had SCA 3 or Mikado-Joseph disease, you would have symoptoms long before now and would not bother to ask. I also suggest that having genetic testing is a waste of money and will tell you nothing. Testing costs 12K$ and will tell you only what variant of the 30 or so variants there are when all the symptoms are virtually the same regardless of the variant you have.

Further, don't waste time or money going to China for Stem Cell tx. This will at best back off your sx. a few years and is mostly due to the physicsl therapy they do in conjunction with this.

Suggest you develop habits that are helpful. Turn on the bathroom light before you walk in and avoid the dark that will trip you up. I have fallen down between the john and the tub and this is no fun. Look where you are going at all times. You can't dance, swim, run or bike. Learn to live with your limitations and explore what you can still do. Don't think you can do what you used to do and overdo it. Fatigue is one of many universal symptoms. Just think, you don't have to mow the lawn anymore. Accept the aging process and learn to live with this - you'll be happier. Love the kids. They'll do anything to help Mom.

Remember, you did nothing to cause this problem. NOTHING!! This is hereditary and you were doomed to this before you were born. It may suck but you can live with it. I was the tailback in high school. I used too bike 100m every weekend. I used to swim like a fish and run like the wind. Those days are gone. Sorry for the reality but you need to know.

Brotherman
brotherman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mshane123 (06-22-2013), Yimmer (05-31-2013)