View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 12:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Immobilizer

I didn't wear a sling post-op, but was sent home with with an immobilizer per Dr Annest. This was for use only when I was out of the house, either among crowds (shopping, church, airports, what have you) or if I would be standing for considerable amounts of time (walking, shopping, etc).

It was just for the first 4-6 weeks after surgery, although I did find it useful a few other times. It has two parts - one is an elastic band that goes around the lower rib cage, the other is two straps that fasten around your upper arm and forearm and then velcro to the rib band. The wide elastic rib band helps stabilize your rib cage post-op, and the straps keep your arm in close and snug, preventing you or someone else from bumping it. I did wear it while traveling home and it made the trip less uncomfortable! But once home it was not worn enough that a frozen shoulder was possible, just to Dr and PT appts and church initially, later only to church, malls or other crowded places.

It is ideal for keeping the drag off the plexus while walking as Dr Togut suggests, including airports. It also serves as a visual cue that you have a disability so that others are less likely to bump into you - no matter HOW I guard my arms someone always manages to bump one or both getting on or off planes - usually with a bag that's WAY too big to be a carry-on in the first place (GRRRR - pet peeve!)

Anyway, fwiw, thought I'd explain what an immobilizer is like for those who haven't seen one, it's quite different than a sling, and used appropriately is NOT a drawback post-op.

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote