View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 01:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Soma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopPop View Post
Every four weeks for the past six years I have visited the same pain mgt doctor and have always been in compliance with monthly drug tests. I'm on a low dose of time released morphine and 5/325 norco as needed for breakthrough pain from RSD in my shoulder and arm. The only true relief I get is from heat and use a heating pad about 12 hours a day and a battery operated shoulder brace with heat while working and away from home. I have tried all the blocks, spinal cord stimulator and other treatments with no luck. I wasn't diagnosed for three years after a major fall which resulted in three open shoulder surgeries. I'm too young for a total shoulder replacement which they won't do until I'm in my 60's for fear of wearing it out and you only get one good shot at securing it to your scapula. I want to know if anyone has had any luck with Soma (Carisoprodol), for muscle spasms and cramps. I have tried Flexeril and Baclofen. The Flexeril wiped me out and the Baclofen gave no relief. When I asked my doc about Soma he brushed it aside by saying it was habit forming.....like the opiods I'm on are not? I have an upcoming appointment and am seeking advice on how to persuade him to at least let me give it a try. On med refill days he runs everybody through the clinic as fast as possible because he has a lot of patients. Has anybody out there had any luck with Soma? My shoulder feels like it is in a total cramp all the time which is why heat helps. Thanks

Soma works GREAT for me, in fact, I had a three level, 360 degree cervical fusion and my neurosurgeon said Soma was the only drug that he had ever found that truly gave relief from muscle spasms........and I found that to be so true. Now to the problem. I am also on a slow release Morphine and an Immediate Relief Morphine for breakthrough pain. These medications together provide me with adequate "pain" control ..... HOWEVER..... since I have recovered from my surgery & am no longer seeing the neurosurgeon, I can not find a physician that will write a prescription for Soma. I am so confused as to why the physicians will write for MORPHINE ---- but Soma is too "habit forming"! What do they think Morphine is??? IF you can find a physician that will write it for you, Soma 350, One Four Times Daily works like a charm for me. I can not praise it enough. It is also priced fairly reasonable if that is an issue. I also have taken Flexeril & Baclofen ...... Soma is SO MUCH BETTER. BUT, it will take you a few weeks to level out on Soma. At first you will be sleepy & groggy until you get used to it, but if you will bear with it, and if it works for you like it does for me - you will not have to live with the heating pad OR the muscle spasms. I wish you the best.....but I fear you will have the same problem I have in finding a physician to continue writing the Soma. GOOD LUCK!
yiisd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
wswells (10-26-2010)