View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 11:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default sad

i realize that everyone who has had spinal surgery and is still on the board is likely a bad outcome, and that there are people out there with good outcomes.
But it's sad and discouraging to read about continued pain and deterioration. I understand that 25% of people with fusions have repeat surgery within about 2 years. Yipes.

I know I needed the surgery, and that I am better off with it. Afterall, I had severe spinal stenosis even WITHOUT the cyst making it worse. I'm able to walk. In fact, walking is more comfortable than sitting.

But I really hate to think that this is my life, or worse, that I have a progressive problem with degenerative disk disease and arthritis, and will likely have mroe surgery. It is likely, as I did have my neck done in 1997.

At any rate, this is liveable.

FANCYLADY: Yes, I remember you writing me when I first posted. I am sorry you are so much more dificulty--that sounds so bland---but really, I am. I don't see why he thinks you'd have a femoral hernia--just because the pain is down the front of your thigh? But that's consistent with L5 pain, and why couldn't it be from an arthritic facet at L5? Maybe you could get an injection into it to see if that improves things?

Have they tried the medrol dosepaks with you? My neuro says he'd try one every 3 or 4 weeks, to total 3 rounds, in the hope that they will help break the inflammation/pain/spasm cycle.

But really, if you can find a Feldenkrais person where you live, I'd give it a try immediately. It's painless, relaxing, and does seem to help teach the muscles to "let go". It's so much more reasonable than all the physical therapy, and seems to come from a deeper understanding of how the brain works with the body.

http://www.feldenkrais.com/

There's a place to look for practitioners in your area.

Yours,
LizaJane
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote