View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Roadrunner, Thanks for your concern.

My sleep apnea is Central Sleep Apnea. My brain stops telling my diaphragm to take a breath. It happens most when I roll to my side and let my head tilt. I have an untreatable issue with my upper cervical area. It gets inflamed if I sleep with my head/neck tilted or twisted. If I sleep on my back with a pillow holding my head straight, I do not have a problem.

The solution to Central Sleep Apnea like mine is either a forced breathing device or an operation that installs a phrenic nerve stimulator (breathing pacemaker) with a wireless control system. I am waiting for the breathing pacemaker to be improved to an 'as needed' system that only kicks in when the O2 levels drop. Currently, the system is always on. It causes the diaphragm to jerk as it takes a breath. They are working on a model that only stimulates the diaphragm when the blood O2 stats drops.

I have sleep disciplines that minimize my Central Sleep Apnea. If my wife finds me sleeping bad (not breathing) she wakes me and tells me to go sleep in my recliner. I do not have a problem with breathing when I am sleeping in my recliner. My apnea causes my body to jerk so it wakes my wife.

I definitely know the risks of sleep apnea. My father died from dementia/Parkinson's after 30 years of untreated Central Sleep Apnea.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote