View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 11:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Recently achieved a massive headache at a very inappropriate time on my
55th birthday. With my head still a little sore, went to the doctor; got an MRI/MRA and found something very interesting, 100% blockage in my left interior carotid artery. I'm curious what you folks have been told about longevity, how it affects your life, etc. Doc seemed to downplay it but as I was leaving said "wouldn't let a chiropractor adjust your neck". That kind of freaked me out but have yet to find anything conclusive about living with just one. I have been active my whole life (grew up a swimmer) and in relatively great health. Was diagnosed and treated for testicular cancer which I found out on my 40th birthday. Other than that, always healthy and stayed away from doctors, guessing I need to stay away from major birthdays as well. cjes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gershonb View Post
Hi everyone

I posted my history of concussions in another thread. Hockey, in welcoming me to the forum, urged me to get a Neuropsych evaluation ASAP. Well, I got referred for this, but in a weird way. I had an MRI of my pituitary, because the levels were going haywire. Turns out the pituitary is intact, with no tumors. My hormone levels are still haywire. What was weird was that the MRI revealed that I have only one artery that carries blood to the brain, on the left. On the right, where the other one is supposed to be, there is--nothing. My first thought was that I should have read through that entire parts list before exiting the spacecraft. The endocrinologist referred me STAT to a neurologist (only way I can explain getting a neuro appointment the next week) for referral for a full neuropsych workup. Evidently, the left one is a little bigger to take up the slack, but there probably have been some cylinders misfiring all along. Weirdest thing I've heard of in about three days.

Has anyone out there ever heard of having only one carotid artery? Anybody got a spare one, Right side, 1952 model?

thanks

gershonb
Juan Cahone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote