View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 04:47 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopPop View Post
Every four weeks for the past six years I have visited the same pain mgt doctor and have always been in compliance with monthly drug tests. I'm on a low dose of time released morphine and 5/325 norco as needed for breakthrough pain from RSD in my shoulder and arm. The only true relief I get is from heat and use a heating pad about 12 hours a day and a battery operated shoulder brace with heat while working and away from home. I have tried all the blocks, spinal cord stimulator and other treatments with no luck. I wasn't diagnosed for three years after a major fall which resulted in three open shoulder surgeries. I'm too young for a total shoulder replacement which they won't do until I'm in my 60's for fear of wearing it out and you only get one good shot at securing it to your scapula. I want to know if anyone has had any luck with Soma (Carisoprodol), for muscle spasms and cramps. I have tried Flexeril and Baclofen. The Flexeril wiped me out and the Baclofen gave no relief. When I asked my doc about Soma he brushed it aside by saying it was habit forming.....like the opiods I'm on are not? I have an upcoming appointment and am seeking advice on how to persuade him to at least let me give it a try. On med refill days he runs everybody through the clinic as fast as possible because he has a lot of patients. Has anybody out there had any luck with Soma? My shoulder feels like it is in a total cramp all the time which is why heat helps. Thanks
I don't have any personal experience with Soma but I have a friend you was on it for years for back spasms. He had a back surgery done with great success and did not need it anymore and it was a huge problem for him to get off. In all fairness he was on other meds. but the doctor who helped him get off everything and he remains off everything to this day which now it must be 4 years, said it was the soma that gave him such a problem and he was on that god awful Fentenyl patch and they still said it was the soma. Again, who knows I also remember him saying it was the only thing that worked for the spasms so I do know it works. I would just be careful.

Gabbycakes
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote