View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default They want Alan do do the IVIG thing!!!

We just came back from Dr. Goldfarb, the neurologist. She got the results from the spinal tap. Alan has protein. 65. She said that number is enough to warrant Alan going for IVIG. She also thinks his spinal stenosis is contributing to his neuropathy.

She said "Melody, the protein number is 65. Alan may have CIDP. I said and what exactly is that and she said Chronic Inflammatory Demylinating Polyneuropathy." (Remember, Alan's mother had Guillian Barre Syndrome)

Alan just stared at her. He has no clue what the heck she is talking about. I said 'Okay, so you want him to see the spine guy and you want him to do the IVIG.

Then she explained that she would get the insurance to go for it. Alan said "how do I do the IVIG?" and she said "You go into the hospital for 4 days the first time." Then in two weeks someone comes to your house for about 4 hours. (I'm pretty sure she said this). I said 'Oh, the home infusion thing?" and she said "Exactly".

So Alan says to me "I have to go to the hospital for 4 days?" and I said to the doctor "why can't he just come every day for 4 hours and then go home". She said "it's the way the insurance does it".

So we went to the spine guy to make an appointment but he's booked until the end of March, but his secretary said to "come back with the MRI films and a cover letter" and if the spine guy at Methodist thinks he can help Alan with the spinal stenosis, then he'll call us up and arrange an appointment. Alan is dropping off the mri films tomorrow. I'll write a little cover letter.

Now I have to go online and see exactly what this IVIG thing is.

Oh brother, I just went to this link

http://www.cidpusa.org/P/ivig.htm

Does this really work??

this journey keeps getting better and better.

mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote